<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d13567711\x26blogName\x3dLIS+640/810:+Mapping+community+inform...\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://lis-gis.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://lis-gis.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d5542345065761461491', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Monday, June 13, 2005

Introductions!

Folks, as practice using the weblog, and also just as a Good Thing To Do, I'd like each of you to leave a "comment" to this post below, introducing yourself to the class. Nothing longwinded required -- just who you are, what you study here at UW-Madison or what you do when you're not a student, and why you decided to take such an odd class combining computer mapping and libraries.

8 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Nick said...

I am in the Ph.D. program in geography. I am also interested in library science, and am beginning working towards a masters in LIS. I thought this would be a great course to kick off my time in SLIS. I have virtually no experience in GIS, so this is also a good way for me to tipee toe my way into that side of geography.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger salim said...

I just finished a Master's in geography here at UW-Madison but my thesis had a human geography focus. I think of this term as my second semester in library school. I also have a background in business (in my previous life) and worked professionally in an academic setting for 9 years. This course, far from being an odd combination couldn't be a more logical choice for ALL librarians. GIS is proving a critical tool in many aspects of modern life and given reduced library budgets, can help us librarians be efficient in meeting public and or academic needs. By the way, my GIS exposure is limited to a class 3 years ago where I had very little hands-on experience.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Natalie said...

Hi, I am two courses away from finishing off my masters at SLIS...after some 4.5 years and too many evenings spent in night-class. I work for the Middleton-Cross Plains ASD as a cataloger and library systems admin. Beyond library walls, I am a fan of travel, music, and reading. Next weekend I am heading as North as I have been here in Wisco, to see Doc Watson at the Big Top and check out the Apostle Islands--any suggestions about that area would be appreciated! As a cataloger and automation librarian, I am surprised by how well I like working "away from the public" while still contributing to library activites. I am very interested in the role of a librarian's librarian, or what services can be provided to librarians and libraries to help with their duties and functions. I think GIS fits in this idea.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Jeff Gibbens said...

I got my M.A. from SLIS in 1999 and have been working as a Cataloger of special formats including maps in an academic library. I'm active as a pianist and composer (avant-garde/classical). I'm taking the class to demystify GIS concepts and also to add some skills.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Christy said...

Hello - I'm a second year SLIS student . I was interested in taking this class because I used to work for an engineering company and they used GIS a lot. Part of my job involved buying geospatial data for the engineers, usually aerial photos and topo maps, but I never got to use the software. This is a chance for me to see what it's all about while learning something about libraries and getting 3 credits this summer.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Elizabeth H. said...

Halfway through my SLIS program, I wanted to take a class that was FUN... and what's more fun than playing with and manipulating data to make pretty maps? Anywho, I've been exposed to GIS in my work in public affairs and I've learned you cannot escape spatial data. As I am on track to work in an academic library, my goal in this class is to figure out how GIS applies to mapping academic libraries.

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Molly said...

Hi, I am halfway through my masters program here at SLIS. I was introduced to the ways in which GIS can benefit libraries in the public libraries class last semester and thought that this class sounded really fun and interesting. When not at SLIS, I'm usually outside in my vegetable garden, biking, hiking, cooking, or stoop sitting.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Ben said...

I just finished my first year of graduate school in library and information studies, and I'm barrelling through the program to get done by Christmas. I'm taking this class not strictly for the credit, but because I was curious about GIS, and I like maps. In my free time, I play the guitar, jog, and read.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home